VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2009

From:
Mary Ellen Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jul 2009 14:57:34 EDT
See the laniers in 1805 Georgia Land lottery.  I finally found my  brick
wall in Georgia.

Benjamin Lanier (2)
Bird Lanier (1)
Clement Lanier (1)
Hardy  Lanier (1)
Jesse Lanier (1)
John Lanier (1)
John Lanier Junr.  (1)
John Lanier Senr. (1)
Lemuel Lanier (1)
Lewis Lanier (1)
Magaret  Lanier [widow] (1)
Mary Lanier (1)
Nancy Lanier (1)

In a message dated 7/15/2009 5:20:30 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Bettie-

In reviewing your message, I've come up with a few  strategies/ideas:
1.  Have you checked the possible  "migration" path of the Laniers.
Lanier may have settled and/or died in one  of the surrounding counties in
Virginia such as Mecklenburg Co. and  Charlotte County ; or, in the North
Carolina counties which border  Granville Co. such as Vance and Person.
2.  I  would look at an old county map for 1805 to determine if
county boundaries  changed since 1770 (when the elder was born).
3.  You  list the date as 1823.  Were you looking at the actual
document or a  transcribed copy? Could it have been 1828 instead of 1823.
If
so, Jr.  could have been trustee for his wife (such as for an inheritance
from her  parents). The husbandnormally administered the wifes assets.
Check
her Cabaniss'.
4.  On the issue of deputy  sheriff, Jr. at 18 could have been hired
as a deputy sheriff.  I had  one of my ancestors owning land and paying
property taxes in Albemarle Co.  at the same age.
5.  You noted Jr. moved to TN in 1845;  this could have been just
after the settlement of his "family  estate".  Did you search as late as
1845? Maybe he defaulted on the  trust deed so the inheritance went directly
to the holder of the  deed.  Find out if the deed holder collected.  There
may be  something stated on the deed.

I think this may be of  help.   Good luck!  I also got a brick wall to
climb.