VA-ROOTS Archives

June 2004

Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 2004 19:39:05 EDT
I recently tried to obtain a Civil War Union pension application from the
National Archives. I have ordered many pensions in the past with no problems, but
this time I was told that the document was not in the archives, but still in
the possession of the Veterans Administration. I emailed the VA at an address
off of their website but the email was returned as unable to deliver. I tried
calling but was unable to connect with anybody at the VA who knew what I was
talking about. Is anybody out there who can advise me where to write or who to
call who would know how to help me obtain a copy of the application? In case
there might be somebody who can help me at the VA, the info is as follows:

JOHN M. ROWE
Private, Co. "B", 7th Tennessee Cavalry Regiment (Union)
Application Nr. 1354458
Certificate Nr. 1129974
Other Nr. (not sure what this means?) XC2697891

Thanks for the help. Knox Martin

The South is a land that has known sorrows; it is a land that has broken the
ashen crust and moistened it with tears; a land scarred and riven by the
plowshare of war and billowed with the graves of her dead; but a land of legend, a
land of song, a land of hallowed and heroic memories. To that land every drop
of my blood, every fiber of my being, every pulsation of my heart, is
consecrated forever. I was born of her womb; I was nurtured at her breast; and when my
last hour shall come, I pray God that I may be pillowed upon her bosom and
rocked to sleep within her tender encircling arms. Edward Carmack