VA-ROOTS Archives

April 2002

From:
Janet Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 18:16:21 EDT
Just a Footnote on tithables, when there is more than one male over 16.  The
Virginia tax lists for the 1780s, 1790, 1800, generally list the names of all
the tithables.

Usually they are sons, sometimes field hands, servants, etc., especially
indentured servants.  I can estimate the year of birth of my gggg grandfather
Lipscomb WASH, by when he appears on the Powhatan Co list in the household of
Lewis Johnson, to whom he was bound out to learn the mill wright trade.

Janet Hunter