VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2003

From:
westview <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 29 May 2003 13:31:02 -0400
Gale,

Here are the answers to a few of your "illegibles."  I see that Paul has
asked you to send him a scanned copy of the inventory --- that should help
greatly.  Paul, if you can't figure one out I'll be happy to add my two
sense if you need it.

one large pot 6"00 - one hand saw 1"00 - one pare *fare* [or fares] dogs "50

one pare *fier* dogs "50 - one side saddle 11"00 one cotten wheal "75
[could both of these be 'fire dogs'? Are the like andirons?]
            Yes, fire dogs also known as andirons.  Cotton wheel is a
spinning wheel for cotton as opposed to one for flax (linen).  Different
sizes and configurations.

1 *yathan* dish and 7 plates 7"25 - 1 set of cups and socers "62 1/2
            I'd say earthen is correct.

2 *hasheads* and 2 *mea tubs* 2"00 1 pine *dish* [or desk ] 1"00
[ hashead could be hosheads. mealubs is difficult - the two words break and
the first letter of the second word could be an L or a T.]
            Probably hogsheads and measuring tubs.  Could be dish or
desk --- I'd have to see it.

1 looking glass "37 1/2 - 1 pare of *stelyards* 1"00 [ it could be
stedyards]
            A "pair of steelyards" is a type of scale consisting of a bar
with a weight that moves across it and hooks to hang the item from.  A good
dictionary or encyclopedia will have a picture of one.

Kathy Liston