VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2010

From:
nelhatch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 May 2010 10:57:47 -0600
HATCHER website: http://hatcherfamilyassn.com
HALL DNA project: http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~nhatcher/hall/HDNAtest.htm
When confronted by a difficult problem, you can solve it more easily by reducing it to the question,  "How would the Lone Ranger have handled this?" - Unknown

Had to grin a bit at this.........

"You wont find everything sitting on your butt all day in front of your computer."

I'm here to say.......oh, yes, you can!! :-)

While I agree I would enjoy immensely scrounging thru dusty old records in some courthouse basement, at 70 yrs old and living in South Dakota that option is not available to me. And I dare say, for a variety of reasons, whether age, health, budget or family obligations, that's true for many in this group.

I know how to find the address of every state archive, county courthouse and geney library and society in this country and have ordered many a document while sitting on my butt in front of this computer.

My main advantage, though, is that we have formed over the years a large group of Hatcher descendants and I have access to any number of people living near SLC, the LVA and other state archives that I can call on to either order a doc [cheaper for residents] or search for docs.

Several states are putting their records online - WV and MO are just 2 that come to mind. Findagrave is a marvelous site now containing 46 million burial memorials. Familysearch.org [LDS] has been uploading vital records for over a year and has been keeping me endlessly busy.

Maybe I can't find "everything" but I'm sure trying my hardest!

Nel