VA-ROOTS Archives

September 2003

From:
Beverly Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Beverly Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Sep 2003 15:45:00 -0400
I would like to make contact with anyone who has researched or is
researching the McGhee/McGee's of Franklin Co., Va. I have a Catherine
McGhee that I "can't" find who she belongs to. She is living in the
household of Samuel James in the 1830 census and continues to do so until
his death sometime after 1870. She has three daughters, Eliza; Mary; Sarah
and one son, Samuel, Jr. All four of her children use the surname of JAMES
but Catherine uses the surname of McGhee/McGee, never JAMES, in census.
In 1838, Catherine and Polly McGee/McGhee are witness to Samuel James
buying land from a Thomas and Sarah Via Newberry in Franklin Co., Va. How
is Catherine connected to Polly?
I thought maybe Catherine was "living" with Samuel and then I thought maybe
she was a poor relative that was taking care of Samuel's two daughters in
1830 census but in later census two more children appear and they go by
JAMES. I can't find a record of marriage for Samuel and I must say I am
quite stumped regarding this couple. Any help from the McGhee/McGee, or
even the James, researchers would be most welcomed!
Thanks,
Bev