VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2004

From:
Renee Dauven <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Renee Dauven <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Feb 2004 09:00:49 -0800
Libbie Griffin wrote:

> It's my understanding that most Army records burned some years ago.  Is that true?

        It is a long shot but...  Yes, it is true that the service records for
many WWII soldiers were burned in a fire (my Dad's among them).
However, medical records (my Dad's among them) for the injured and
wounded were stored at a different location and have survived.  If any
of the soldiers you are seeking were wounded or injured, perhaps you can
start your search by trying to locate medical records for that
individual and perhaps broaden the search from there.  Good luck.

Renee L. Dauven