VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2003

Date:
Tue, 18 Mar 2003 11:49:39 EST
In a message dated 3/17/03 12:54:29 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> My records indicate that Jacob's wife may have been a Rachel instead of
> Rhoda. No confirmation, only info from another family researcher.

Researchers:

Jack Nida brings up an interesting question. What is the documentation or
strong circumstantial evidence for Jacob Huffman's wife being Rachel?

A few years back, I was sent a "Descendants of Andrew Huffman" family tree by
Judy Damewood that lists this Jacob Huffman as s/o Andrew & husband of
Rachel. It lists the following children of Jacob & Rachel:

Mary "Polly" Huffman
Margaret Huffman
John Huffman
Hannah Huffman
Andrew Huffman
William Huffman
Elizabeth Huffman

A chancery suit held in Roanoke County, VA in 1849 is recorded in Deed Book
C, pages 499-500. The plaintiffs in this case, also called orators, were:

Lewis R. Huffman
John N. Huffman
Caleb Huffman

A portion of the chancery suit goes as follows:

" .. he devised the land described in the above mentioned agreement to Thomas
Huffman, the father of your orators. Your orators are advised that the said
agreement being of a subsequent date to the will is a revocation of the same,
as far as it is related to the land described in the before mentioned
agreement. Your orators would further represent that the said Thomas Huffman
died several years previous to the date of the agreement between your orators
and the said Jacob Huffman."

So, we know that Thomas Huffman was the father of Lewis R, Caleb & John N.
Huffman.

The relationship of Lewis, John N. & Caleb Huffman to Jacob is described in
this part of the suit:

" .. That on the 26th day of January 1846 one Jacob Huffman, the grandfather
of your orators entered into an obligation with your orators in the final sum
of one thousand dollars ..."

Defendants in the chancery case were:

William Huffman
John Huffman
Margaret Huffman Niday
Mary E. Huffman
Rhoda Huffman
Andrew Huffman
James Damewood & spouse Polly Huffman Damewood
Elizabeth Huffman
William Elmore & spouse Hannah Huffman Elmore
Andrew Elmore & spouse Sophia Huffman Elmore

According to the suit Rhoda Huffman is Jacob's widow & the others mentioned
are the heirs of Jacob Huffman. There are only slight differences in the list
of heirs & the list of children sent to me by Judy Damewood. Judy's list does
not include Sophia Huffman & Judy's list names one child as Mary "Polly."
"Polly" is a common nickname for Mary. The court document list Mary & Polly
as two different children & also tells us about Sophia.

So, back to the original question. Where does the name Rachel come from?

I look forward to reading your comments.

Sincerely,

Mike Peters