VA-ROOTS Archives

June 2004

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Jun 2004 09:30:00 -0500
  ---- Original Message -----
  From: [log in to unmask]
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Friday, June 11, 2004 11:13 PM
  Subject: [VA-SOUTHSIDE-L] Another Headrights Question

    .... From this it can be assumed that Sarah Pollard, William
  Stainbacke, as well as possibly the rest from that list had arrived much earlier.

  ****Absolutely, and they likely did

      ....I don't think that William Stainbacke could have been indentured in 1690, worked off his indenture, and within two years have compiled enough property and money to help post a 30,000 lb tobacco bond.
  As a result, I put William Stainbacke's "arrival" in the new world at circa
  1680-1685.  Paul.....would this be a reasonable conclusion???

  *********  I would, instead, give him 20 years or more to so elevate himself, UNLESS he inherited money or otherwise had an extraordinary business career. My Owen Griffith arrived in 1658, begins to appear in records that reveal some measure of prestige by 1685, yet died in 1698 owning some personal property but no land.  In fact, VERY few indentured servants left anything for their descendants and even fewer owned land at death.  In the 17th- and early 18th century it was simply too harsh and difficult here for a servant/poor man to rise to prominence and gain any considerable measure of wealth.

  Were there exceptions?  Of course, however the fact remains that there was no middle class till the Revolution and later and our ancestors were either poor or of some affluence.