VA-ROOTS Archives

December 2005

From:
Beth Maxwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 1 Dec 2005 23:11:11 EST
Paul,

I have a nifty book... "A to Zax - A Comprehensive Dictionary for
Genealogists & Historians" by Barbara Jean Evans, published 1995 (3rd edition)

I turned to it for a definition of "quit rent":

"an early type of property tax which was assessed by the Crown.  The governor
of each colony was responsible for distribution (of) the funds which were
collected by the sheriff of each county.  It could be paid either in cash or in
tobacco.  The use of quit rent was abolished during the Revolutionary War."

If you want to add this book to your Wish List, ask any book store for ISBN #
0 945231 02 4

Beth Maxwell

He who kneels before God
can stand before anyone.