VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2013

Date:
Mon, 4 Mar 2013 12:18:45 -0500
I would suggest you consider purchasing a marker on your own. In this way you can put it wherever you wish. I have delt with the VA for a number of years and they seem to have changed the rules in the past few years making it more difficult to get a VA marker. Maybe you could approach other members of your family and request donations for your project. I do not know where you live, but you may also want to approach your local Sons of Confederate Veterans camp for donations. They are usually very helpful with grave markers, especially for unmarked graves. If he was killed at Sharpsburg the chances are very good that he was buried in an unmarked burial trench somewhere on the battlefield. Very few Confederate dead were identified and almost all were dumped in unmarked graves or trenches. There are three trenches holding hundreds of Confederate dead at Shiloh NMP and only one is identified by the park. The other two are know to local Confederate reenactors and SCV members, but the general public touring the park would have no idea where they are as they are not able to be reached by car. The Union dead are buried in a well manicured National Cemetery close by.

Good luck!

Knox Martin
SCV Tennessee Division Genealogist