VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2006

From:
Bill Davidson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Davidson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 May 2006 16:27:17 -0400
A David Davidson/Davison was in James City Co., VA by at least 1682 (per a
later land deed in the county), and he was issued naturalization papers in
1686.  These papers show that David was born in Holland (though I always
suspected that he was actually of Irish, Scottish or English descent).  If
his parents WERE actually Irish, Scottish or English, however, would David
still have needed to be issued those papers in 1686, just because he was
born in Holland (was the "process" that "sophisticated" in 1686)?  I know
that Holland was a  major trading partner with Scotland (and an active
Scottish church still operates in Holland today), but I don't know
if "trade/business" was why David's parents were apparently living there
when David was born (versus escape from religious persecution or some
other reason).

There is some chance that I am a descendant of the above David Davidson,
based a few "weak" clues.  I have joined a Davidson/Davison/Davisson DNA
testing project, and my haplogroup results indicate that I am from
a "Viking line."  Most Davidsons are NOT from that line, but there are
three or four Davidson men in the study (so far) who are.  The "Viking
Davidsons" seem to have been in Northern Europe and/or North-East England
(per input that I received from the DNA testing company), but I was
wondering if David Davidson being born in Holland might show
some "connection" to a possible "Viking heritage?"  It is possible,
however, that I am not from this David Davidson in James City Co., VA
after all, and hence, the Holland birth location and my known "Viking
heritage" could be totally unrelated.

Comments on any of the above?

Thanks!

Bill Davidson