VA-ROOTS Archives

November 2004

From:
nelhatch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 13 Nov 2004 15:37:40 -0700
HATCHER website: http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~nhatcher/faq.htm
HATCHER DNA project: http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~nhatcher/hatDNA.htm
Researching: Cook, Hall, Hatcher, Miller, Shepherd, Timberman
"Genealogy without Documentation is Nothing" - Paul Drake

Joy King wrote:
"When they launched this new service a time limit was put on removing
material from the free sites so they would not be merged into the new
database. I seriously doubt removing them from the free sites now would also
remove them from the new database! However, I have the feeling any new trees
submitted to the free sites will also be merged into the paid site as well."

I believe there's some confusion here as to the definition of "free sites"
and "free files." Years before Ancestry merged with RW (and before the
creation of Worldconnect), people contributed their files to Ancestry who
used them to create and sell family tree CDs. This was the source of much
controversy by people who didn't realize their contributions were to be sold
and that they could not remove their data or have the ability to update them
as new research progressed.

These files on Ancestry were added to the new Worldconnect system a year or
two ago and it is these old Ancestry family files (on which Ancestry holds
copyright) that I believe are the ones that could be removed by a certain
date to avoid being used in the OWT system. I don't believe those of us who
never submitted files to Ancestry but only submitted to RW's Worldconnect
have had our files merged with OWT. If so, I would suspect that Ancestry is
violating the Acceptable Use Policy as stated by RW on the Worldconnect
site.

But not claiming to have my law degree yet......... :-)

Nel Hatcher