VA-ROOTS Archives

August 2009

From:
KAREN DALE <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Aug 2009 09:40:51 -0700
And then there's the double whammy--I spent years "fleshing out" the family of John Mason and Mary Nelson in Stafford, sure John was --some how, any how!--related to my James Mason ("of Stafford County" in a 1769 deed) in Culpeper.  Comes the first DNA test from a descendant (provable on paper) of John--no match. You can imagine my reaction to that! Short, pithy, four letters. But then--after I had abandoned all idea of continuing to research John--along come two more descendants--and they DO match my James Mason.  So back to working on the Stafford Masons... I go around with a permanent Mason whiplash.

Meanwhile, we're also matching Masons in Bedford/Botetourt and one in KY...as well as one in GA ca. 1818--and not a clue how!  Somewhere, back in the now paperless 1600s, probably in the Stafford area of VA, there's a common ancestor---but I've gone from one brick wall to six though DNA.

Please--all of you with Masons in VA: find more than one DNA donor so we can sort out the hundred of DIFFERENT (and so far, none related to Gunston Hall--so much for that myth...) Mason families in colonial Virginia!

Karen Dale