VA-ROOTS Archives

June 2002

From:
Nel Hatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nel Hatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jun 2002 21:46:58 -0600
Website: Hatcher Families Resource Center
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~nhatcher
List Admin: Hatcher email list
Researching: Cook, Hall, Hatcher, Kuhns, Miller, Shepherd, Timberman
The HATCHER BOOKS are now available - Edward, Henry, and Benjamin
For more info: http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~nhatcher/hatchlib.htm
"Genealogy Without Documentation is Mythology"

I believe it all depends on what your needs are. I maintain a large one name
file with much unsourced family data and find the census images, as well as
other files, invaluable in sourcing/proving these families.

As one poster mentioned, all of the SS files online can be incomplete. I
have yet to find my own father. This is an SS problem, not Ancestrys.

I would never expect any site to necessarily provide "complete"  or even
accurate information. Today after receiving a list of family in a certain
cemetery where the surveyor had provided additional data, I spent a few
moments to tell them of corrections to this added info not found on the
tombstone. There are many Rootsweb sites that list marriages and give you
only names, date, and county/state. I don't expect Ancestry to be any
different. It depends entirely on the source of their data as to how
complete it is.

Any database whether free or not can still only be used as clues and should
not be considered totally free of error.

Nel