VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2006

From:
qvarizona <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
qvarizona <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2006 09:27:57 -0800
I agree, DNA discussion has become part of genealogy research.  I also agree, though, that after a researcher  states his opinion and shares his sources and links, it becomes a bit wearisome to the rest of us if he continues to argue his points.  Those that are interested can investigate deeper,  while those who are not related or are not concerned, can go use their time for other subjects.  Bottom line, we  can  just delete redundant email.

  Certainly,  regardless of our impatience or disagreements, there is no room for ridicule on this list and most attempts at irony are as poorly out of place as repetition.

  Joanne

Robert Yingst <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  Move on?
This discussion is on point with all of the issues with which we
genealogists wrestle. We have DNA proponents on our list who see DNA's
value to the quest for the definition of "family." These discussions help
us understand the meaning of family. We are people, not pure bred dogs.
History (oral and written), documents, DNA and context are critical.
Moving away from this discussion is not necessarily moving toward
genealogy. This discussion is the very essence of genealogy. Think about
it. When children are fathered outside of the "father's name" are they to
be cast off into some footnote in our writing and research? History and
context make them a part of a "family." Are we real genealogists if
ignore their importance and meaning to the following generations? Some
seem to be looking for a "legitimate" connection to a king or scoundrel.
Let the discussion on this subject take us where the evidence leads. Ideas
for finding the truth is a worthy endeavor and this discussion seems to
help genealogists think - inside and outside the box.
Rob

here on the list that it's time to move this topic back to genealogy.

> I remain unpersuaded by your evidence, so there's little point in your
listing it again and again. I would, however, point out (since this is a
genealogy forum) that DNA evidence is useful, though not always definitive,
in an age when the written record is often so sketchy, especially for the
non-persons of society (slaves, blacks, indentured servants, the poor in
general).

> In my own case, I have searched for years to connect the dots from my
Missouri Chapmans back to VA, and recently found them in Caroline County.
But because of the paucity of written records, I'm still unable to move
back even a generation from where I was 35 years ago. The president of the
Chapman Family Association once told me that there were more "problems"
with VA Chapmans than any other region.

> Bill Cross

Monticello
> takes a neutral stance. I beg to differ and site a few things for you.
Do
> you consider a Monticello statement that not only one but possibly ALL
of
> Sally's children had the father, Thomas Jefferson is accurate? MY what a
> NON-scientific statement from the center of Jefferson research. Dan
Jordan,
> Monticello President, knows well what the DNA proved.....: NO DNA match
for
> the long held and MAJOR beliefs of the Woodson Family. He also knew well
> that ONLY ONE Hemings matched "some" Jefferson DNA.........NOTHING
proves
> that it came from Thomas. The DNA does not honor given names. He also
was
> informed of the existance of the Hemings male descendant, William
Hemings,
> months prior to his release of his Research Report. Not only did he not
> persue this lead but he told me to NOT pressure the Hemings and he made
no
> effort to suggest that they permit the test, what kind of selective
research
> is this? His above mentioned report was released with a Minority Report
from
> an employee member of this study group, Dr. Ken Wallenborn, MISSING.
Upon
> learning of this DENIAL of an important Minority Report I contacted the
> Thomas Jefferson Memorial Foundation and requested an investigation. Dr.
> Wallenborn was issued an apology by Dr. Jordan and his report may now be
> read on www.angelfire.com/va/TJTruth anmd www.tjheritage.org. The full
> Scholars Commission Report (13 prominent full professors) may also be
found
> here and they were critical of some of the Monticello assessments.
>
> Bill, I agree with your statements about whether Jefferson fathered
slave
> children or not......I also care less, HOWEVER, to me revelation of
accurate
> truth is important. That is why I and others founded the Thomas
Jefferson
> Heritage Society and that is why honest scholars volunteered their
> independant study of over a year to bring the truth of the findings to
the
> public. Just as in medicine.......ALWAYS ask for a second opinion.
no one
> has a strangle hold on Mr. Jefferson's legacy...we all own his legacy
and
> that angers some people. He is innocent of such charges.
>
> Herb Barger
> Jefferson Family Historian

WHETHER
> JEFFERSON FATHERED SLAVE CHILDREN OR NOT. Please forgive my use of
capitals,
> but I have detected in this discussion, and for years in other
discussions
> about the topic, a repugnance at the thought, as if it made any real
> difference, that Jefferson might have black descendents, and an
indignation
> at those who would advance the theory. If I misunderstand your
position, I
> apologize.
>
> While it would be interesting to know whether Sally Hemings was, in
fact,
> Jefferson's mistress, it would not take one scintilla of greatness away
from
> him, nor would it reduce in any way his standing as one of our greatest
> presidents. Those who decry the hypocrisy of the author of the
Declaration