VA-ROOTS Archives

August 2005

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Aug 2005 16:34:21 -0500
I have asked that very question at a number of original states' archives. The answer seems to universally be, as I have always suspected, that while all Revolutionary records NOW are quite nearly, if not all, open to the researcher, we can not ever know what was destroyed in the name of secrecy during and shortly after that great war.

That remains the position of the governments in many wars now and since then. For some years after the conclusion of warfare, much is considered secret that later is released to the public.

I was in Naval Intelligence for a couple years. I was warned that what I saw, heard, did and learned was to remain absolutely confidential for 50 years - in my case, till 2004. Still, I never again heard of that restriction that had been so imposed, and very much suspect that all have long forgotten what then was considered MOST secret.  Paul