VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2003

From:
nel hatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
nel hatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Oct 2003 19:39:16 -0500
Website: http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~nhatcher/faq.htm
List Admin: Hatcher email list
Researching: Cook, Hall, Hatcher, Kuhns, Miller, Shepherd, Timberman
HATCHER DNA Project: http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~nhatcher/hatDNA.htm
"Genealogy Without Documentation is Nothing" - Paul Drake

Hi All,

I have the following 2 deeds and I'm seeing a serious problem here. A little
background -

Edward Hatcher Sr is the son of WILLIAM Hatcher - conclusively proven.
Edward Sr had proven children Mary Hatcher Elam, Martha Hatcher Gower, and
Edward Jr (and others).

The first deed proves Edward as a son and is DATED 1694. Note that Edward Sr
signs with a mark of EH.

Henrico County, Virginia, Wills and Deeds, 1677-1705
Compiled by Benjamin B Weisinger III, p.530

Edward Hatcher, Sr. of Henrico Co., for love & affection to my son John
Hatcher, land where I dwell, bounded by the river, by land given by me to my
son William Hatcher, and by the swamp, 42 2/3 acres. If John dies without
issue, then to my son Seth Hatcher. Also I give to my son EDWARD Hatcher 46
2/3 acres between his brother John and Henry Loone, and IF HE DIES WITHOUT
ISSUE, then to my son Seth. To my son Seth Hatcher, all the plantable
highland between his brother William and mouth of Reed Marsh branch. 20 Nov.
1694
Wit: Edward Tanner, Wm Cocke
Signed: Edward (EH) Hatcher
Recorded 1 Dec. 1694
--------------------------------

Now for the 2nd deed.

Henrico County, Virginia, Wills and Deeds, 1677-1705
Compiled by Benjamin B Weisinger III, p.422

Three years since, MY FATHER Edward Hatcher gave to my daughter Mary Hatcher
1 sow pig which has increased to 3 head of hogs, killed by me this year;
therefore for love & affection to my said daughter, give her 1 black cow
calf. Also I have one brown heifer whose increase was given to my said
daughter by John Jameson. I also give to my other daughter Martha Hatcher 1
yearling black cow calf. If either daughter die under age 17, the other is
to get her share. 1 Feb. 1686
Wit: Hen. Randolph, Wm Hatcher
Signed: Edward (EH) Hatcher
Recorded 1 Feb. 1686

This second deed by Edward Hatcher identifies his father as EDWARD
indicating this is Edward Jr. This deed is dated 1686. Now if this deed
actually refers to Edward Jr, he CLEARLY HAS ISSUE, which contradicts the
1st deed dated 8 yrs LATER where his father indicates his son Edward HAS NO
ISSUE AS OF THAT DATE. Note also that this deed is also showing the mark
used by Edward SR.

You will have to trust me when I tell you there is only one elder Edward
Hatcher in this time frame, so we are not talking about 2 elder Edwards,
each with a son Edward.

What I think is that the 2nd deed also pertains to Edward SR and his 2
proven daus, Mary and Martha, and that the recording clerk erroneously
identified his father as Edward instead of WILLIAM.

What say you??

Nel Hatcher