VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2002

From:
Yvonne and Steve <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yvonne and Steve <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 23:24:30 -0500
Hi all,

We have followed this thread with a bit of disappointment. We have been
working very hard on recreating a 1790 and 1800 Virginia Census for about 18
months. We post update notices to this list as well as others to let
everyone know what's new on our web site. But it seems apparent from the 2
messages below that we have done a poor job getting our message out. This is
no ones fault but our own. So we want to "toot our horn" and let you know
what we do.

We are trying to recreate the lost 1790 and 1800 Virginia Censuses from
county tax lists. We have identified 90 counties and 7 independent cities
for this effort. We get tax list microfilms and search them for the best
images for "1790" and "1800". Many times these specific years are of poor
image quality so we go up/down 2 years to find the best images possible. We
photocopy each tax list and scan it into our computer. We resize these
images to minimze the file size and then upload these images to our web
site. Then we index each list with every name we can decipher. We wrote a
special software program that reads our indexes and creates HTML index pages
that includes a link to the tax list page image for every name in our index.
All the index pages are then uploaded to the Master Index and to the County
Index. We have included a search engine that you can use to search for names
of anyone you enter. The search results have been specialized so that the
resulting names include the link to the image. We have tried to make our web
site as useful as we can.

We are not Ancestry.com and we don't have a big staff and a big budget. We
are not USGenWeb with a highly visible network and many, many volunteers. We
are just 2 individuals that have real jobs and a great hobby. Our web site
is our passion, and it's free. It's purpose is to help you with an alternate
source for 2 missing censuses. It's a lot of work and we don't get any
funding. Here's a summary of what we have online:

32 counties
133 tax lists
131 tax lists are indexed
1,139 tax list pages as jpeg images for "1790"
1,263 tax list pages as jpeg images for "1800"
32,515 names in our "1790" census Master Index
37,064 names in our "1800" census Master Index

We are currently working on Caroline County and King William County. Next
month we hope to add at least 3 more counties. We know this is a slow
process but we try to do our best.

We want to make sure that everyone knows this information is available. We
have tried to get as much publicity as possible but many of these efforts
have failed for various reasons. This is apparent by Bev's statement "to my
knowledge". We are going to finish this project no matter how long it takes.
And we invite all of you to visit our web site to see what we have. It's
located at:

http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~ysbinns/vataxlists/index.htm

Please spread the word. The web site is for all of you. It's an answer to
Sue's question "How do you all get around this?".

Steve and Bunny
"1790" / "1800" County Tax Lists of Virginia
Alternative 1790 and 1800 Virginia Censuses