VA-ROOTS Archives

January 2013

From:
"Gayle M. Garrett" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Dec 2012 00:25:52 -0600
Thank You Jan:

This is the most encouraging information that I have received in over 3
years.

I don't know that I have a connection with these McCoys, but am trying
to check out to see where it leads me.

And check out Willa Harvey McCoy's  maiden name might possibly be a lead
if Joseph's wife,

Willa McCoy's maiden might turn out to be a lead.

My Great great grandfather, Harvey McCoy was born in Virginia back in 1813

& Joseph being born in 1776. These dates could fit as father & son, but
need to check it out.

A lot of sons back then were named after uncles & several used their
mother's maiden name.

Greenbier County, West Virginia is another area to try & check out.

My health won't let me travel long distances, so I work closer to home

with the Genweb.

I have been working with the Kansas Genweb, I have walked & transcribed all

information on the stones in my home county of Trego & Graham Counties in Kansas.

Some of these cemeteries I walked were 75-80 miles one way from home.

If you are not familiar with the Genweb, a world wide all volunteer organization

dealing with genealogy & county histories.

I have helped several by them seeing a first clue on where there relatives were buried on the web.

Others I have traveled a couple counties away to get them some information.

So I am hoping that there will be more people that will volunteer family history for me.

When the Back in the late 80's & 90's everyone was trying to help if they could.

Harvey's children's names are not ordinary names.

They are:

Childern:

1.-*Matthias McCoy*     b: July 10, 1842    Perry Co. , Indiana    d: April 30, 1864
             Killed in action in Civil War Battle at Mark's Mills, Arkansas

2.-*Jehu Hardy McCoy*(My Great Granddad) -
             b: October 18, 1844    Perry Co., Indiana
             d: August 04, 1926      Graham County, Kansas
             Wounded & captured at in Civil War Battle at Mark's Mills, Arkansas, saw as his brother Matthias             McCoy shot in same battle.

3.-*John Riggs McCoy*  b: November 20, 1846	Perry Co., Indiana

4.-*Lewis C. McCoy*  b: September 28, 1848	Perry Co., Indiana

5.-*Melissa Ann "Sis" McCoy*  b: August 10, 1853	Appanoose County, Iowa

6.-*Isaac Madison McCoy*b: May 27, 1855	Appanoose County, Iowa

7.-*Arstarkus McCoy*b: April 11, 1858		Appanoose County, Iowa

8.-*Lycurgus McCoy*b: December 31, 1860	Appanoose County, Iowa

Thank You
Gayle m. Garrett