VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2001

From:
sheap family <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
sheap family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 May 2001 21:04:27 -0400
When did the use of middle names become common, or even begin, in Colonial
Virginia?  I an researching the Snow family of Orange and Albemarle Counties
and am intrigued by a mention in the Fredericksville Parish Vestry records
(Albemarle County) on November 25, 1767 of the refund of a overpaid levy to
"John Davis Snow's son".  This is the only mention I can find of "John Davis
Snow" in those records while my greatx6 grandfather, John Snow, is mentioned
many times, and is mentioned in the Vestry notes of the same date.  I feel
that "John Davis Snow's son" may well have been Thomas Snow who was residing
in Albemarle County in 1764 and later moved north to Orange County (now
Greene County) where he purchased land, in 1772, on what was to become known
as Snow Mountain.  Were middle names given to children in the early 18th
century?  Kirk