VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2012

From:
Bill Davidson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2012 19:53:04 -0400
I also show that Francis Smith married Letty Nuphus/Nuphis and that Edward
Smith married Lettice Green.  I have also wondered, however, if
Nuphus/Nuphis was TRULY the correct spelling of the name (but who knows)?  I
suspect that this was the same Francis Smith who appeared on the 1810 Essex
Co., VA census.  Below is a link to what APPEARS to be a pretty good file on
Edward Smith and Lettice Green (though I do not know how accurate this file
is):

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=:1826179&id=I85368352

I believe that the above-mentioned Francis Smith in Essex Co., VA was a
descendant of the Colonel Francis Smith (son of a Nicholas Smith, as I
recall) who married first to Lucy Meriwether and second to Ann/Anne Adams.
DNA testing on living male Smith descendants shows that Colonel Francis
Smith....who had a daughter who married a Mr. Webb in Essex Co., VA....was
NOT related to the Samuel Smith who married a SISTER of that Mr. Webb.  That
Samuel Smith was a known/proven descendant of the Alexander Smith who was in
Lancaster Co., VA by at least the 1650s, and there are four male Smiths from
that overall family who have taken the DNA test....and all four men have
"matching" DNA.  The lone (the last time that I checked, anyway) DNA donor
who "traces back" to Colonel Francis Smith, however, has DNA that is quite
different from the above four descendants of Alexander Smith (and there is
also nothing in any "conventional documentation"....other than the
above-mentioned "common marriage" into the same Webb family....that seems to
suggest that those two Smith families were/are "blood related").  I have no
strong reason to believe that the above Edward Smith was related to either
Alexander Smith or Colonel Francis Smith, and I have not attempted to
determine if any male Smith descendant of that Edward Smith has ever taken
the Y chromosome DNA test.

There was a Mary Smith (age 45 or older) who was also on the 1810 Essex Co.,
VA census (she was listed as the head of the household, though that census
also showed that a male age 45 or older also lived there).  Does anyone know
just who that Mary Smith was (and/or what her maiden name was, assuming that
"Smith" was her married name)?

There were also a couple of John Smiths on the Essex Co., VA census in 1810
and/or in 1820 (one of them was one "age range" older than the other, per
the 1820 census, as I recall).  I have reasons to believe that both of them
were PROBABLY also descendants of the above Alexander Smith.  A John Smith
was mentioned in a chancery court decree in January 1822, and he was
deceased at that time.  That decree was providing the specific directions on
how the heirs of that John Smith were to be given the remnants of the estate
of John Smith's deceased father (who was Major Maurice Smith, who had
married the widow Mrs. Catherine (Carter) Jones; the Major had left his Will
in Middlesex Co., VA in 1795).  The referenced John Smith had married Sarah
Waller, and Sarah was a daughter of Judge Benjamin Waller of "Williamsburg
fame."  Major Maurice Smith was a known/proven descendant of the referenced
Alexander Smith, and two of the Major's daughters also married into the Webb
family (a William Crittenden Webb), as I recall.

The other/younger John Smith in Essex Co., VA in 1810 and 1820 MIGHT have
been the John Smith who married Mary Dunn, a daughter of John and Judith
(Edmondson) Dunn (though that John Smith and Mary Dunn had a son of their
own who was also named John Smith....actually John Hancock Smith).  If
anyone has any informmation on that John Smith and Mary Dunn and their
family, please let me know.  That John Smith COULD have been the biological
father of my maternal gg-grandfather named Smith W. Brown (born about 1817).
DNA testing, combined with "conventional research," show that Smith W. Brown
was actually a "blood Smith infant/toddler" who was taken-in, named and
reared by John and Mary (Bennett) Brown (and the DNA from a male "Brown"
descendant of Smith W. Brown is a "match" to the DNA from the known
descendants of Alexander Smith).  By the way, this Mrs. Mary (Bennett) Brown
had a brother who was named SMITH Bennett, so this Bennett family apparently
had some "close connection" to the Smith family....and that "connection"
apparently was the reason that they ultimately took-in a Smith
infant/toddler.  No proof whatsoever, but I think that it is at least
possible that Mary Bennett's mother Mrs. Winifred "Winnie" (Unknown....but
MAYBE "Dunn") Bennett was a member of the same overall Dunn family as the
Mary Dunn who married John Smith.  "Winifred" was a VERY common given name
in that Dunn family (going back to the Miss Winifred Waters who married
William Dunn "II").

Comments on any of the above?

Bill