VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2007

Date:
Sun, 15 Jul 2007 13:15:06 EDT

I'm trying to connect my Julia BECKS, who married David SPRADLING in
Albemarle in 1828 (Albemarle County, VA marriages, 1780-1853, by Vogt), to  a William
BECKS, who disappeared from the Personal Property Tax  (PPT) listings in
Fredricksville Parish in Albemarle in 1802. He had been  on the lists with 2 over
16 for quite some time.

A Mary BECKS appeared in 1803 on the PPT lists, with no males  above 16
present. In 1804 she pays for one and a Thomas BECKS appears (present  starting in
1800). In 1805 Mary pays for one and Thomas BECKS, pays for one  too
(himself). In 1806 Mary disappears from the listings and Nicolas BECKS  appears,
identified as the son of William. In 1807 Nicolas and  Thomas are identified as sons
of William. They are both  identified as Mulattos in the 1816 listing. Thomas
disappears from the listing  in 1819 (he probably dies, as the Thomas that
has a Daughter Lucinda - see next  paragraph below - is deceased). Nicolas
disappears from the listing in 1821.

Nicolas BECKS is also in the 1810 VA Census in Albemarle with a female in  my
Julia BECKS' age range. David and Julia were my GG Grandparents. I believe,
since Thomas and Nicolas were identified as Mulattos, that William. their
Father, was a freed slave (from a 1779 listing in Albemarle).

In 1821 a Robert SNEED married a Lucinda BECKS in Albemarle, A Lucy BECKS,
bondswoman, testified Robert to be over 21 (Vogt). Earlier that year a  Richard
SNEED had become Lucinda's Guardian, with her permission. It was  stated that
she was an orphan of Thomas BECKS (Albemarle Order Book info).

In the 1840 VA Census for Rockbridge Co., VA (in Lexington) a Nicholas  SNEED
was living next to David SPRADLING (according to household visitation
numbers), married to Julia BECKS. I know this was David and Julia because in the
1850 VA Census their Daughter Mary, 10, was stated to have been born in
Rockbridge. Mary was living in the household with David's Sister Susan, in
Albemarle. I can't find David after the 1841 PPT in Lexington, but Julia shows  up back
in Albemarle in the 1860 VA Census.

If I can connect Richard, Robert and Nicholas SNEED to each other it  adds to
the circumstantial evidence I already have to connect Julia to this  BECKS
family. Julia BECKS is only one of two direct line ancestors born after  1800 I
have no documented Parents for.

Any comments and information are welcomed.

Thanks, Julius (Tim) Spradling