VA-ROOTS Archives

April 2007

From:
Brent Tarter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brent Tarter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Apr 2007 09:43:59 -0400
Va-Hist and Va-Roots subscribers:

Many of you, who are regular users of the Library of Virginia's Web
site, have no doubt been inconvenienced during the last several days by
the unavailability of our on-line catalog and of some of our valuable
on-line data bases and digital resources. Everything appears now to be
back in good working order.

Here is what I understand happened: Early last week a server died a slow
and painful death, in the process eating some large and important parts
of the Web site. Herioc work by Library of Virginia staff and
representatives of the software vendor eventually allowed them to
retrieve the elements of the Web site that had been eaten, and yesterday
all the parts of the site went live, again. A full-scale test of the
system last night indicated that the rescue effort was successful.

That is the extent of my technical knowlege and competence in the
technical vocabulary.

Like all of you, we here at the Library were disappointed and frustrated
that the valuable resources on which we constantly rely were not readily
available, but they are now.

A tip of the hat to the rescue squad!

Brent Tarter
The Library of Virginia