VA-ROOTS Archives

September 2001

Date:
Sun, 16 Sep 2001 00:27:46 -0400
 the clerks
> inform us that
> the vital statistics from the late 1800s & early 1900s have been transfered
> to Richmond, however, they don't seem to know where. All we can find out, it
> is on Broad Street, my question, is that part of the capital complex ? Does
> any one on the list have the specific location ?

If you have to go to the Bureau of Vital Statistics, they are now in
Willow Lawn Shopping Center, on the south side of West Broad Street,
just west of Staples Mill Road. The building sign and entrance are
visible from the outside.  But, I'm with Ann on finding what you can at
the Library of Virginia first.  The staff is great, you can search the
records yourself, you'll make your own copy so you'll be certain of the
transcription, and the machine-made copies are much less expensive and
quicker.

To get a record from Vital Statistics, you not only have to be the
subject or next of kin if the record is more recent, and pay the search
fee even if nothing is found. But you basically have to already have
most of the information that's on the death record for them to find it!
With the older records at LVA, if you've narrowed down the possiblities
to a reasonable range of dates/counties, then you've got a good shot at
searching through the old records to find your subject.

Good luck!
Rosanna Bencoach