VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2001

From:
Kathleen Much <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kathleen Much <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 08:51:01 -0800
I'm trying to identify the parents of Ann M. Downman who m. Thomas
Mitchell Glasscock, marriage bond 8 Jan 1812 in Richmond County;
Elizabeth Downman who m. Washington Glasscock, m.b. 18 Dec 1805; and
Richard Downman who m. 1) Winny Ball Glasscock, m.b. 21 Jan 1806, and
2) Elizabeth Bryant, m.b. 4 May 1816.

All the Downmans are said to be children of Rawleigh Downman, but
there were at least 12 Rawleigh Downmans in VA, several at the
relevant time. I believe that Ann, Elizabeth, and Richard are siblings
but have no proof. Dillon and Lewis, _The Chinn Book_, say that this
Richard is the son of Rawleigh and Elizabeth --- Downman and grandson
of William Downman (1685-1741) and Anne Ball. Richard and his siblings
William and Winnifred were baptized at North Farnham Parish, Richmond
Co., but there is no mention of Ann or Elizabeth in the register.

The Glasscocks are all children of John Glasscock (1751-1790) and
Susannah Mitchell and were baptized at North Farnham Parish.

Can anyone verify the parents of the Downmans, especially the mother's
maiden name?

Kathleen Much