VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2008

From:
Sally Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sally Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Feb 2008 07:25:56 -0500
Your question caught my eye because I have a Greenberry in the Maryland
family.  So I googled Greenberry and found Nicholas Greenberry on Wikipedia.
If Wikipedia is right, Nicholas Greenberry was a prominent man in early
Maryland.

I also have Marene's in my family, presumably in honor of Marene Duvall,
another prominent early Marylander.  Also a Joshua Barney, of obvious
tribute.

Apparently it was a common naming practice, and is still done occasionally
today.

Sally Phillips