VA-ROOTS Archives

January 2007

From:
Linda Dela Torres <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 14 Jan 2007 09:35:46 -0800
I find E. Kay Kirkham's "Genealogical and Historical Atlas of the United
States of America" published by The Everton Publishers, Inc. in 1976,
helpful.  There is a section in the back that shows an old atlas of towns,
counties and post offices using the 1880 census as a basis.  The only thing
I see even close to Yak is Yankton in Birmingham in the N with a population
of 45.  When I go to the "Handybook for Genealogists" I find there is no
Birmingham county but there is a Buckingham county formed from Albemarle in
1758.  I don't know what time frame you are looking but is it possible the
town name could be an abbreviation and located in a state cut from VA?

Linda