VA-ROOTS Archives

January 2002

From:
Janet Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 15:03:36 EST
Hello Everyone,

I have received several documents I would like to offer to anyone interested
in Filmers (primarily) and other Kent Co England families who migrated to VA
in the 1600s.  I obtained these as a result of my recent (unsuccessful)
efforts to followup with a Filmer  researcher in England on my supposed
double descendancy via a first cousin marriage from Sir Edward Filmer and
Elizabeth Argall, who died 1629 and 1634 respectively, presumably in East
Sutton, Kent Co England.   This prominent, wealthy couple I believe have at
least two clear VA lines (not mine), with descendants throughout the United
States, via (1) son Henry Filmer, who was in Mulberry Island, Warwick Co
VA,whose daughter Martha married Thomas "Seagull" Greene and (2) daughter
Catherine who married Robert Barham (Barhams in James City Co and Isle of
Wight first).  Other associated lines include Freeman, Clay, Greene, Bennett
and many more -- well, you all know who you are even if I don't.  (See --
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Plains/6025/filmer.htm and
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Plains/6025/filmer_argall.htm)

The following are the documents I have (electronic copies).  They are the
result primarily of the research of the now deceased Bruce John Filmer and
secondarily his brother Colin Filmer, who sent them to me and provided
permission for me to offer them --

(1) Descendants of James Filmer and Margery Raynor (grandparents of Edward
Filmer, d. 1629).  This document is 182 pages long, and contains primarily
information from the 1500s through the early1700s, based on documentation in
the UK. (For example, it lists the children and their spouses of Martha
Filmer and Thomas Greene, but that is all.  My impression is that the U.S.
descendants weren't really researched by UK Filmers, or the research hasn't
been published).

I found it a very fascinating document from just a historical perspective
(though quite dense), chock full of wills and commentary etc. from the 1500s
and 1600s, and Netti might go through it and draw some conclusions regarding
what the sons  end up doing.  I know somebody ends up as a grocer.

(2) "VIRGINIA" - Chapter 12 of Filmer Family Notes, Part 1, by Bruce John.
Filmer (published privately in 1984.  Only known copies in the U.S. at the
Library of Congress.  The Library of Virginia has the first 30 pages or so of
Part 1 in one of its manuscript collections).  This Chapter catalogs the many
prominent Virginia families with Kent Co origins.  For example, Edward &
Elizabeth Argall Filmer's grandson Samuel was the first husband (no issue) of
Mary Horsemanden, who married second William Byrd I. Samuel leaves her his
considerable estate, and the managing of that in the UK, is the subject of
criticism in Byrd, letters, etc.  Numerous other families, Berkeleys,
Randolphs, etc., etc. mentioned.  There is not a great deal of detail.

(3) "FILMER INTER-RELATIONSHIPS WITH EARLY VIRGINIAN EMIGRANTS FROM KENT", by
Bruce J. Filmer KENT FAMILY HISTORY SOCIETY  JOURNAL.   VOL. III.   NO. 9.
DECEMBER 1982.  Short 3 page article.

(4) "THE FIRST FILMER IN NORTH AMERICA" by Bruce J. Filmer, Kent Family
History Society Journal.   Vol.7   No. 3   June 1993  p.86/87.  Short 2 page
article.

(5) An extensive bibliography of the sources for Filmer research in the UK,
which also includes several general resources that might be of interest.

If you are interested in receiving these articles, please let me know.  I
will wait for a "critical mass" of requests before sending them as a zipped
file (with easy instructions for any of you who might need help unzipping).

FYI,  my descent  is supposedly through first Filmer cousins, grandchildren
of Edward and Elizabeth Argall Filmer -- John Faulkner & wife Elizabeth who
arrived in Hog Pen Neck, Kent Co MD aboard "the Agreement" in 1665 and
settled in Queene Anne/Talbot Co MD.  Elizabeth is said to be daughter of Edw
& Elizabeth's son Reginald and wife Jane Travis.  John is said to be the son
of William Faulkner and Edw. & Elizabeth's daughter Elizabeth.   This couple,
John Faulkner & Elizabeth, are progenitors of many Faulkners, including Wm
Cuthbert Faulkner, and probably the majority of the Fortners in the U.S. The
only "documentation", term used extremely loosely, we Faulkners have found is
posthumous baptismal sealings at the LDS, which show John & Elizabeth (maybe
Filmer) Faulkner's children born in Wales, which is quite conceivable.
Needless to say THAT source makes the whole issue quite controversial amongst
us Faulkners/Fortners.   While UK Filmer researchers have not done an
exhaustive search of ALL related records, especially those in London, where
the Filmers had extensive holdings, my supposed Filmer descendants don't
appear at all in their research, nor are they in any of the papers of Henry
Filmer I have looked at at LVA or the University of Virginia.

With warm regards,

Janet (Baugh) Hunter