VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2010

Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 2010 12:13:08 -0500
Nel, one additional clarifying observation:  Many/most court clerks in
colonial times used little punctuation and their recorded entries must be
read carefully for appropriate interpretation.  It is my contention that
Samuel Hatcher was not a co-plaintiff or a party of any kind to this court
case.  He was simply the implied 'assignor' with Henry Hatcher being the
'assignee' and singular plaintiff.  With punctuation added, the clerk's
pertinent entry would be:  "The action of Trespass on the Case between Henry
Hatcher, (assignee of Samuel Hatcher), plt. <--(Note: singular) and Richard
Sym, Deft., is dismist, the plt. <--(Note: no plural indication for
plaintiff here either) not prosecuting the Same."  (Parentheses around
assignee entry is added to emphasize my point.)

To support my contention further, I believe the court clerk would have added
a plural 's' to Hatcher in the case heading, or listed the two given names
of Henry and Samuel, if both Hatchers were indeed co-plaintiffs.

With the definition of 'assignee' being "individual to whom a title, claim,
property, interest or right has been transferred," I believe Henry Hatcher
had received transfer of title, claim or otherwise right to the subject
property from Samuel Hatcher prior to the court case of Trespass against
Richard Syms being initiated.  Again, Henry Hatcher alone was the plaintiff
in my opinion.  Samuel Hatcher may have never been present for this case; he
may have even been an absentee land owner if a person were to speculate.
This could further explain Syms' prior 'squatting' on this property.  (This
is a purely speculative exercise, however, without further factual info.)

Had some fun along the way here, thanks.
Neil McDonald