VA-ROOTS Archives

November 2008

From:
Bill Davidson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Davidson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Nov 2008 12:46:17 -0500
The brother of my great-grandfather was named Eli Banton Davidson (born
1847; son of Joseph Cornelius Davidson and his wife Vitula Monroe
Sandridge), and Eli made a significant amount of money (for those days)
growing and selling tobacco on his farm in Buckingham Co., VA.  As I
understand it, his tobacco would be taken by wagon the few miles north to
the James River (to what is Colombia, VA, I believe) and put on barges
there.  The barges would then transport the tobacco down-river towards
Richmond.  Eli started with about 300 acres of land on his farm/plantation
named "Cherry Hill," so I guess that was enough land to "do well" in the
tobacco business at that time.  The Davidsons learned that the land in that
area was also good for growing apples and peaches, and they eventually
opened the Davidson Orchard on Rt. 15 in Buckingham (which remained in
business into the 1980s or so).  At one time, the Davidson family owned over
5,000 acres in the area, so that original tobacco business must have been
quite lucrative.

Bill Davidson