VA-ROOTS Archives

December 2012

From:
Lucy Cronin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Dec 2012 09:54:21 -0800
I have researched my Turner Family for many years.  The earliest I can
find the family is 1790 in Loudoun Co., VA.  In the Personal Property
Tax Records the name is Turner.  In the Church Records for the New
Jerusalem Lutheran Church in Lovettsville, the name is Dreher or
Drayer or Dreer, etc.  In German dreher is a turner of wood or ivory.
My branch of the family (Ludwig Turner) ended up in Bedford  Co., PA.
I found his brother (Michael Turner) ended up in Clermont Co., OH.
The Ohio branch said we were from the Tourneur Family of Harlem, NY &
they were French Huguenots.  I couldn't prove that.  I researched the
Tourneur Family & found a male Tourneur willing to do DNA.  In 2008 I
paid for his DNA test & used Family Tree DNA.  I had a Turner cousin
from Bedford Co., PA also do the DNA test thru Family Tree DNA.  Alas,
NO match. Since 2008 there have been many matches to the Tourneur
Family thru Family Tree DNA, but there are NO other matches to my
Turner Family.

I cannot not find where my Michael Turner Sr (born abt 1750) & his
wife Margaret (Peggy) Unknown came from before they showed up in
Loudoun Co., VA in 1790.  I am sure the family was German.  Was the
family name originally Dreher?  There is a Hans Michel Dreher who
arrived in Philadelphia, PA in 1767.  I have not been able to find him
after 1767.

DNA is a valuable too; that can prove or disprove lineage.  I keep
hoping that someday I will get a DNA match for my TURNER lin.

Lucy Turner Cronin