VA-ROOTS Archives

June 2004

From:
Deborah Byrd <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deborah Byrd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Jun 2004 13:02:11 -0400
I am looking for information on the descendants of Lewis Bazden/Basden free
person of color.  He was born around 1760 to Martha Basden b. 12 Jul 1732 in
Isle of Wight county VA the daughter of James Basden 1690/1700 - 20 July
1770 of Isle of Wight and Southampton  Counties Virginia.

Lewis had at least one sibling.  I don't know if it was a male or female.
The clerk of Southampton county wrote his "r" and "s" almost identical so
the sibling could have have been listed as Bardin in the early marriage
records.  Lewis Basden (listed as Bardin) married Sarah Tann 27 Oct 1803 in
Southampton County Virginia.  He married second Ava Dunkins 06 Jun 1817 in
Southampton County Virginia.  He also lived for a while in Surry county
Virginia.

There is a Basden house listed as an historic structure in Surry County
dating from the 1820's.  Is this structure his home?  I don't know of other
Basden's living living in Surry County.

Deborah Byrd
Baisden family researcher