VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2004

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 2004 14:03:56 -0600
Hey, Bill.  I advise all students to be sure that the Yankee arsonists really did burn ALL the records.  I know of no better example than the Cumberland County, TN courthouse which did burn - or so the story is widely told - yet IN FACT, the deed, mortgage, miscellaneous and at least 22 volumes of other records and reports were not destroyed.  Still, the tale that "Genealogists are in trouble here because the records were burned" lingers on even to right NOW.

   Even if your courthouse did burn completely down, all should remember that still yet the citizens, commencing the following morning, and local researchers over the years have reconstructed what they could of the "originals", and so, no matter what was lost, THOSE people know MORE than anyone else.  So ask them what they have.

Once again, as a general rule, exhaust all the sources available through the counties websites and the local societies first, and what is not there seek elsewhere, and in the meantime see what the Internet does have for you.    Paul