VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2003

Date:
Sat, 12 Jul 2003 23:23:40 EDT
I do hope the petition has the required interest, I for one, believe
cemeteries should be considered by the states as valued historical documentation, one
of my family cemeteries has fallen to "the building on beautiful spots" saga.
I found one tombstone under a dog house, others missing all together. The
family that built their house on the cemetery property loved the view, and
distroyed markers of a cemetery going back to the 1700's. They knew they were
destroying the cemetery and history, several of the persons buried there were very
political and one their families in Virginia go back to 1612, the location of
this cemetery is in Campbell Co., Va.

Something has to be done to preserve our Ancestors resting spots, to many
roads have crossed and caused lost graves, it is time to make a stand, and plead
for historical preservation. Plead for the sake of your ancestors, do not
allow their resting spots fall into shadows any longer, if the key word "is
attended regularly", how can we get to them if the owner will not let us visit? Call
your senator and ask for state maps recording the cemeteries that are on
private land,
(if they go back pre civil war, good chance they have been mapped). GRANTED,
its a long shot, BUT, there are to many old cemeteries being distroyed to sit
by and hear, " my land, my call, who's gonna stop me? Maybe we can. Thanks,

Gynger Cook.