VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2014

Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 2014 15:19:02 -0500
William Brown and Lucy Campbell of Culpeper Co., VA had Presley Brown, and Presley married Ann N. Popham. William and Lucy (Campbell) Brown also had Lucy Brown, and Lucy married Hiram Popham.  I do not know at this time who the parents of the John S. Brown who married Mary Popham were, but I may be able to determine that via a fellow Brown family researcher. I will post again when/if I learn more.  As I recall, the above William Brown also had a sister named Elizabeth Brown who married a John S. Popham....but I will also try to verify that.

The referenced William Brown was mentioned in a record as a brother of Phoebe Brown....and that Phoebe Brown also mentioned another brother who was named William Ambrose Brown (as strange as it may seem to have two brothers who were each named "William").  William Ambrose Brown married Mary Grigsby Travis.  We have living male Brown DNA donors from both the above William Brown and the above William Ambrose Brown, and both men match DNA "Group 10" (so Phoebe Brown was also a member of the "DNA Group 10 Brown family").  Phoebe Brown was the second wife of the John Brown who left his Will in Culpeper Co., VA in 1801 (the first wife had been Sarah "Sally" Gibbs), and DNA testing now shows that this John Brown was also a member of DNA "Group 10."

It seems almost certain that William Brown, William Ambrose Brown and Phoebe Brown (and any other siblings) were children of Mordecai Brown "I" and his unknown wife.  Mordecai Brown "I" was a known son of Henry Brown "I" (died about 1733/1734 in Essex Co., VA) and Keziah Jones, a grandson of Daniel Brown "I" (died early-1700s in Essex Co., VA) and Jane Copeland and a great-grandson of Francis Brown "I" (died 1691/1692 in Essex Co., VA) and Elizabeth Cole.

Bill Davidson