VA-ROOTS Archives

January 2002

From:
Dan Page <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 21 Jan 2002 12:40:49 -0600
The following declaration, copied from the records at the Virginia State
Library, was the genesis for the Chopawamsic Baptist Church:
        "Here, in the Colony of Virginia firmly desiring to be constituted
and established into a distinct church of the same denomination, faith and
order and being at our request freely dismissed for that purpose from the
church in Fauquier aforesaid. And appears by a letter signed by several
members of that congregation ---- date August 9th, 1766.   Hoping it may be
to the glory of God and our edification, these subscribers in the presence
of God solemnly unite as a religious body to worship him, to celebrate his
ordinances, to manifest his truth and to promote his honor in the world....."
        The declaration concluded:
That all disputes may as far as possible be avoided and peace, concord and
unity maintained by the blessing of God for which we pray and in testimony
of our union herein we have all set our hand this day of our constitution
being the 22nd day of November 1766

Among the signers were various Carneys who I am very interested in,
including some whose children were earlier baptized in Overwharton Parish,
Stafford Co.

My questions:
1.  Where was this Chopawansic Baptist Church??  Fauquier or Stafford Co.?
2.  Any records exist for this new church?
3.  Any records exist for the church they are leaving in Fauquier Co.?

My maps and references seem to have a complete blank for these questions.
Dan Page