VA-ROOTS Archives

December 2008

Date:
Thu, 4 Dec 2008 13:59:32 -0700
I don't actually think this was wide spread Nancy.  At one time my Buford and McDowell lines were the largest land owners and slave owners in VA and PA. as well as KY.  They made a point of teaching ALL their servants how to read and write.  Perhaps you could elaborate on what you think the "Lower Classes" represented. so we could better understand what you mean.  Most all the "schooling" was done in the home in which a student lived.  It was taught by an educated person who also lived in the same home and often the neighbor children were included in the classes and the neighboring families who lived too far away for their children to walk or ride their horses to the home of the Tutor would board with the Tutor's family.  I have never heard of anyone considered as the "lower class" to be purposely denied an education.

Best regards, fern
www.bufordfamilies.com