VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2008

From:
Katie Holland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 29 Jul 2008 13:01:23 -0700
To my fellow genealogy email Listers: personally I think DNA in regards to genealogy is irrelevant.  I know this might create a storm; but while your blue eyes may be in the genes, your history isn't.  It is in the people who cared for you and who relayed stories of your "ancestors", blood or culture.

It might help with these 2 Pocahontas lines of "mine" in that it will show Asian genes and a more narrowed focus to my research, or not, and it would save a little time; but it doesn't really show the family lines or who the people are, just that someone back there might be ... whatever.

I started doing my family history when I was about 4 and asked my father's uncle about his mother for whom I was named.  I've continued, I listen to stories, I write things down; I have fine memories of the microfische readers at the old Virginia State library in Richmond.  But if tomorrow a letter appeared in my mother's estate that said she had found me on the doorstep, I would still have memories of her as my mother and I'd still be named for my paternal great-grandmother.  I do not come from a culture that has an intense religious connection to the actual ancestry of individuals, I was tickled when I learned of this possible Matta-Po-Ni connection, I love to hear my daughter sing the Disney music with personal pride when we drive over the Chickahominy River outside Richmond - but none of this distracts me from still wanting to dig up and read the documents that actually name people in my line, who played a part in bringing together this
 wonderful country in which I am so fortunate to be nor does it make me want to discover what I consider very vague defining lines of my gene pool.  I am not criticising those of you driven to have the info.  But to me, it is not as important as reading the old documents and looking at the old photographs that document my trail.

Katie Holland
born in Portsmouth, VA to Norfolk parents
raised in Va Beach and educated in Richmond
but married to a Marylander and happy to be alive.