VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2011

From:
Patti Jones Schacht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Mar 2011 13:04:04 -0400
Although we ALL agree that slavery was and is a detestable evil, unless people actually lived through the wanton destruction of farms, livestock, and so on during this vicious conflict, it is difficult to understand the "strong" feelings harbored in the South for many, many years.

I am a Virginian, and proud of it.  As a child, we would travel each year to visit relatives in the deep south (mid-1950's) and the first thing the kids all wanted to know was: "Are you a Rebel or a Yankee?"   It took us 100 years or more to regain ground economically...and that was in large part due to "low taxes" for businesses that were willing to invest in the Southern states.   Of course, now everyone has fled overseas for even "cheaper" labor rates, much to the detriment of the American people.  But that's another story.

Patti