VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2002

From:
Janet Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 16 Mar 2002 22:38:31 EST
Hello Everyone,

I am about to embark on what will undoubtedly be a spirited debate on where
to look in England for one of my ancestors, John FAULKNER (ancestor of Wm
Cuthbert, etc.).  John, wife Elizabeth maiden name unknown, and three sons
arrived at Kent Co MD (across Bay from Annapolis) in 1665 aboard the ship
"The Agreement", which departed from Bristol.  I should note that John,
Elizabeth and sons, also travelled with two servants.  Maryland documents
identify him as a "Cordwainer", which boils down to a shoemaker of  fine
shoes from leather from Cordoba Spain.

I am hoping that maybe some of you may be able to tell me whether or not the
Port of Bristol was a jumping off point for folks from certain specific areas
of England (or Wales) more than not.  Is there any pattern?   My impression
is that it (a) was a key port in the slave trade orbit; and (b) was somewhere
people could go to and be assured that if they wanted to emigrate to the
colonies, they could find a ship.

In a nutshell I am looking for advice -- If you had an ancestor that came to
America on a ship from Bristol and you KNOW you have Faulkner records in
Sussex, Kent, Wales (no area specified) and London, would you begin your
search in the environs of Bristol or the other locations?

Much obliged as always,

My best regards,
Janet (Baugh) Hunter