VA-ROOTS Archives

April 2002

From:
Janet Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 24 Apr 2002 17:39:02 EDT
In a message dated 4/24/2002 5:27:29 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> No.  "Late" means "formerly".  You will have to use other means to
> determine if that means that he was formerly living in Henrico and now
> lives elsewhere or if it means that he was formerly living and now is
> dead.  :)
>
> Renee L. Dauven

Because as he signs the deed, and his mother signs an "M", I'm assuming he is
not dead; this isn't an election in Chicago in 1960 after all :-).  Assuming
that the son John Baugh in the 1735 deed is mine who dies in Chesterfield
1761 (no movement, land in deed became part of Chesterfield when it was cut
out of Henrico ca 1746/47), AND know the ages roughly of at least three of
his children in 1763 (one married, two old enough to choose guardians, and
one under 14) -- I assume he was perhaps off somewhere sowing some wild seeds
in 1735.  The 36 acres sold in the deed I cited, was probably the portion
reserved out of the sons' lands in John Baugh's will recorded 1726 (written
1714).

I have made a preliminary run through of the Chesterfield miscellaneous
tithables microfilm, and have found two John Baughs there in 1740s (which is
as it should be).  I still am confident of my deed trail, but need to go
through later 1700s Baugh deeds to make sure no others sell land south of the
Perices Style Creek.  So far I think it['s just my JohnBaugh.

Thanks for your response!

Janet Hunter