VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2011

From:
Charlie&Sue Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Mar 2011 13:52:19 -0400
Re: looking for birth certificate/wrong name

My mother's birth certificate is in a different name than that she has
used since she was 5 years old, plus it was wrong even for her birth
name.  When she went to get a passport, she had to get a correction to
her birth certificate.  Luckily she had a few aunts still living.  They
just wrote a notarized statment saying that my mother is the person named
on that birth certificate, and that she has used her current name almost
since birth.  You can ask Vital Statistics about getting a correction
made.

Re: loss of naval records.
You might ask again.  I heard that copies of a number of records thought
to be burned have been found.  I think they were found in St. Louis.

Sue