VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2003

From:
nel hatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
nel hatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 2003 13:19:42 -0500
Website: http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~nhatcher/faq.htm
List Admin: Hatcher email list
Researching: Cook, Hall, Hatcher, Kuhns, Miller, Shepherd, Timberman
HATCHER DNA Project: http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~nhatcher/hatDNA.htm
"Genealogy Without Documentation is Nothing" - Paul Drake

I have been confused concerning many of the msgs re: Ancestry - Rootsweb -
WorldConnect, but I believe I've got most of it figured out now.

I know nothing about the files on WC that came from Ancestry since I use
Rootsweb exclusively for uploading my WC files. Rootsweb's policy is quite
clear - the submitter of the file OWNS that file. Rootsweb cannot sell it,
distribute it, nada - it belongs to you.

Rootsweb also has built in software that prohibits showing ANY info on
living people. It has confused me to hear some of you state that your
personal info is on WC. This tells me that Ancestry is NOT using this
privacy software that Rootsweb uses.

So if your file is on WC through Ancestry, may I suggest you delete it from
the Ancestry side and upload it through Rootsweb
http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igmuser.cgi

I may be wrong but it would not surprise me that Ancestry follows the same
"Authorized Use Policy" that RW uses - the file belongs to the submitter,
therefore neither RW nor Ancestry can delete or alter anyone's file.

If a submitter has your personal info on his file, s/he and only s/he can
remove it. If s/he refuses, you have no recourse.

As Paul said, at some point "you" gave personal info to a cuzin, in-law or
out-law who may have since passed it on or had it unknowingly copied by a
3rd party. You have now lost control and there's very little you can do
about it.

Nel