VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2003

From:
Tim Kemp WB4BAH <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tim Kemp WB4BAH <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Oct 2003 10:10:36 -0400
Unless you have one of the new Nextel phones with built in GPS.  It also
triangulates from all Nextel towers it can receive using the same method
it uses with GPS.  It then combines this with the reading from the GPS
satellites for much greater accuracy.  If you are in a metropolitan area
with several towers within range the accuracy is amazing.  They show the
reading accuracy onscreen with each reading and mine will generally tell
me it is within +/- 6 feet.  Under bad conditions it is still usually
accurate to with +/- 15 feet.

Due to neurological problems I keep one in my car which automatically
transmits its coordinates every 5 minutes to a tracking program on a
computer at home.  That way my family can always know exactly where I am
if I am not answering the phone.

Now...  I went ahead and commented here before even noticing what
mailing list I was on.  Have I missed something in a previous message?
What did this have to do with VA Genealogy?

--

Tim Kemp  Amateur Radio Station WB4BAH
AOL   Instant Messenger - Tim D Kemp

The Kemp Family Homepage
http://www.mindspring.com/~tkemp
Genealogy info on KEMP, STROTHER, MURPHY, and allied families.