VA-ROOTS Archives

August 2007

From:
"Levy, Suzanne S." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Levy, Suzanne S.
Date:
Sat, 25 Aug 2007 15:20:52 -0400
A customer just brought in a photo of a gravestone in Blandford Cemetery
in Petersburg that is marked:

Virginia Dare Council
No.5 S & D of L

My guess is this would be the Sons and Daughters of Liberty, but I would
like to confirm. I see from the catalog at the Library of Virginia they
do have proceedings from the State Council of the Group around 1898, but
I find little else in published materials on fraternal societies, etc.
There are other gravestones in Va. with this marking and from a blog I
found mention that the Sons & Daughters of Liberty were formed in 1915
or from the 1875 founded Daughters of Liberty. They provided burial
insurance of $300 if members were in good standing.

If anyone could help confirm that this is the correct guess on the
abbreviation or if anyone knows more about this group, I would love to
be able to share it with my customer. Tombstones I found with the
abbreviation were from the 1920s-40s.

Please reply to me directly at

Thanks.

Suzanne Levy