VA-ROOTS Archives

September 2009

From:
"Jones, Louise (LVA)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Sep 2009 10:08:59 -0400
Dear Ms. Edwards,

I am dropping in the answer from John Salmon, who wrote that portion of the Franklin County history, for the source of the document you seek:

On further reflection, I think maybe Francis gave us a copy of this document, having received it from someone else (Ann?) or having xeroxed it himself in the Henry Co. courthouse.  I'm pretty sure we didn't look at the Bicentennial papers in Ann's possession, and I don't recall her giving us anything.  I don't think we went to the Henry Co. courthouse to do research since all of the relevant papers (pre-1786) were in the LVA or on microfilm.

John

Capt. Owen Ruble commanded a company of Henry Co. militia.  The county, like all the others in Va., was divided into militia districts with boundaries for the purpose of enrolling eligible residents, and I think the militia districts also served as tax districts.  (Hence "the bounds of Capt. Ruble's Company").  The endnote for this record gives the location as "Clerk's Office, Henry County Courthouse, Martinsville, Va."  It could be that Ann provided us with a copy, but I can't remember.  We gave all the photocopies, etc., to the Franklin Co. library, so she ought to look there.

I don't know what she's referring to as a "footnote" ("My thanks to Ann Carter Lee for the manuscript copy"......"primary materials from Franklin
and Henry County".   The footnote says an analysis of the list was compiled
by R. Gravely and provided by Lee to the author.).  I don't find any such note in the book.  Ann ran a Revolutionary War Bicentennial project using students to gather information, documents, etc., on the county's history, and the last I recall hearing, she held on to all of the papers that were compiled.  I don't know if she ever turned them over to the Blue Ridge Institute (probably not), the Franklin Co. library, etc.  It's probably all still sitting in her basement.

John