VA-ROOTS Archives

November 2003

From:
Janet Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 1 Nov 2003 11:50:36 EST
Hello Everyone,

I am resending the message below which was cutoff first time around.

Janet Hunter

Subj:   Re: [VA-ROOTS] (UVA's Special Collections) Elizabeth Roderick's
Request
Date:   11/1/2003 8:30:11 AM Pacific Standard Time
From:   <A HREF="mailto:janethunter703">janethunter703</A>
To: <A HREF="mailto:Caddowens">Caddowens</A>, <A HREF="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]</A>

In a message dated 11/1/2003 6:00:39 AM Pacific Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Whew!  Elizabeth...I read it (twice).... why not put this in genealogical
> terms that will specifically grab us; perhaps then we will be able to help
> you?
> Frankly, I didn't see anything in the message that I could relate to...but
> that is probably my own limitations.
>
> Alice in Fluvanna

Alice and everyone.

Unless I am terribly wrong (help me out here Elizabeth), I believe that
Elizabeth Roderick is referring in the message below on the project to (at least)
the documents/books in UVA's Special Collections holdings.  If you are curious,
you should browse the website that is fully searchable, etc. here:
http://www.lib.virginia.edu/speccol/

To quote the website:  "The Special Collections Library administers over 12
million manuscripts, 2.5 million items in the University archives, and 268,600
rare books, as well as approximately 4,000 maps, over 4,000 broadsides; more
than 125,000 photographs and small prints; over 8,000 reels of microfilm and
8,000 microfiche; and substantial holdings of audio recordings, motion picture
films, and ephemera."

I have done research in the collection at the Alderman Library on a limited
basis.   I can tell you that in 2000 the Reading Room had a number of family
type books on the shelves (ie, Cocke was one if I remember correctly).   I was
looking specifically at a collection of letters and documents relating to a
particular family.  I know they have several documents relating to the Baugh
family, but I didn't have a chance to look at them.

I would imagine everyone on the Va-Roots list would say to keep and preserve
everything!  <smile>

Best Regards,
Janet (Baugh) Hunter

[Note this is from the Archives]