VA-ROOTS Archives

June 2001

Date:
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 00:51:25 EDT
In a message dated 6/20/1 3:34:36 AM, [log in to unmask] wrote:

<<Could this "parish register" really be a *transcription* of the register,
made some years later (although apparently still during the Colonial period)?

Mr. Simpson,

    You raise a very good question.   Yes, some early parish registers are
actually transcriptions of the original registers.  For various reasons,
ministers or other congregation members often copied data from the original
register into another.  Often we are only left with the transcriptions, which
are often incorrectly considered by many as "the original."    If my memory
serves me correctly, the St. Peter's Parish Register, New Kent Co., VA is one
such example.

    Charles Ward