VA-ROOTS Archives

January 2009

From:
Thelma Glover <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Thelma Glover <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jan 2009 14:25:42 -0500
The problem I've occasionally encountered is the interpretation of Jas and
Jos. They look amazingly alike when handwritten and I've often found Jos
transcribed as Jas or James and Jas transcribed as Jos or Joseph.

Nel Hatcher

To me this is an excellent reason to transcribe the original doc verbatim
and not guess at the intent of the scribe. If looking at an abstract, better
find a copy of the original instead of trying to guess at the intent.

I spent some time trying to find a parent of my 4th ggrandmother whose
father's name appeared in a Goodpature's History as John Stroud. Actually,
her father's name was Joseph Stroud as my research proved. My guess is the
info gatherer for Goodspeed's books abbreviated Joseph in such a way that it
was transcribed as John and since it appeared as John in a "real" book, hard
cover, and all, we know his name forever more will be John no matter the
name his mother gave him.